Bitcoin is the currency of the Internet: a distributed, worldwide, decentralized digital money. Unlike traditional currencies such as dollars, bitcoins are issued and managed without any central authority whatsoever: there is no government, company, or bank in charge of Bitcoin. As such, it is more resistant to wild inflation and corrupt banks. With Bitcoin, you can be your own bank.
If you are new to Bitcoin, check out We Use Coins and Bitcoin.org. You can also explore the Bitcoin Wiki:
- Do not use URL shortening services: always submit the real link.
- Begging/asking for bitcoins is absolutely not allowed, no matter how badly you need the bitcoins. Only requests for donations to large, recognized charities are allowed, and only if there is good reason to believe that the person accepting bitcoins on behalf of the charity is trustworthy.
- News articles that do not contain the word “Bitcoin” are usually off-topic. This subreddit is not about general financial news.
- Submissions that are mostly about some other cryptocurrency belong elsewhere. For example, /r/CryptoCurrency is a good place to discuss all cryptocurrencies.
- Promotion of client software which attempts to alter the Bitcoin protocol without overwhelming consensus is not permitted.
- No referral links in submissions.
- No compilations of free Bitcoin sites.
- Trades should usually not be advertised here. For example, submissions like “Buying 100 BTC” or “Selling my computer for bitcoins” do not belong here. /r/Bitcoin is primarily for news and discussion.
- Please avoid repetition — /r/bitcoin is a subreddit devoted to new information and discussion about Bitcoin and its ecosystem. New merchants are welcome to announce their services for Bitcoin, but after those have been announced they are no longer news and should not be re-posted. Aside from new merchant announcements, those interested in advertising to our audience should consider Reddit’s self-serve advertising system.
- Do not post your Bitcoin address unless someone explicitly asks you to.
- Be aware that Twitter, etc. is full of impersonation.
Sorted roughly by decreasing popularity.
Join us on IRC
Other Bitcoin sites
Bitcoin Google+ Community
Bitcoin Stack Exchange
Download Bitcoin Core
Bitcoin Core is the backbone of the Bitcoin network. Almost all Bitcoin wallets rely on Bitcoin Core in one way or another. If you have a fairly powerful computer that is almost always online, you can help the network by running Bitcoin Core. You can also use Bitcoin Core as a very secure Bitcoin wallet.
Style sheet credits
The CSS used by this subreddit is the Erdune Theme modified by /u/Annihilia and /u/konkedas. Logo design by /u/Annihilia. Check out his other work here.
We previously collected donations to fund Bitcoin advertising efforts, but we no longer accept donations. The funds already donated will be spent on some sort of advertising, as intended. As of now, 10.35799117 BTC was spent out of 22.51357574. If you have ideas for the remaining BTC, see here for more info.